Blog #1
Amber Evert
What aspect or aspects of Communication interest you most (intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, public or mass communication) and why?
The aspects of communication I am interested in are interpersonal, and intrapersonal because of the future jobs I am interested in. I think both of these are equally important to have in the workspace. Intrapersonal, because I know I will always need to speak in my own mind to figure out what needs to be done. Figuring out problems in my head. Interpersonal because working as an editor or publisher it is typically an office type setting so you will have many coworkers to communicate with. Or event planning, one of the big aspects of that job is communication. You need to communicate with all of the people who want to plan an event with you. And if you are working through a company, again you need to speak with your coworkers. If you work alone (like as a freelancer) you have to get your name out there. This could also be kind of related to mass communication. You have to work hard to get clients. Advertising yourself and your name and what you do. Once you have a meeting with potential clients, you have to be persuasive and strong with your wording, so interpersonal communication.
What are your professional goals or professional areas of interest and why?
I am in my fourth year of school completing a bachelors degree in communications, but I still am not totally sure what I want to do. Currently I would like to work as an editor/publisher or an event planner. I have been interested in editing for a while. I just think it would be fun to work as an editor and edit all types of reading materials. Working with an author and looking over their work. I like to write, but do not think I would want to be an actual writer. That is why I think editing would be a good choice. That way I still get a feel of the writing, but instead I would be revising others' work and making improvements. This is similar to how I feel about publishing. With this, you take on the role of publishing books and trying to promote the book. I wouldn’t even be opposed to working as an agent/assistant for an author! Event planning again seems fun and something where you have a creative outlet, but also following your clients theme. You can somewhat make your own rules and schedule, deciding on if you work on your own or for a company.
Hi Amber! I too found intrapersonal communication to be one of the most interesting forms of communication. I tend to overthink a lot and I think you made a great point in saying that intrapersonal communication is like speaking to yourself in your own mind. This type of communication is a way for one to reflect on their character and can be used for both self awareness and improvement. It’s important to remember that overall self reflection is necessary in life. It seemed you were able to see this through the connection that you made to your future career goals. Nice post!
ReplyDeleteHi Amber! Glad to see more than one person mention intrapersonal communication in these blogs! I found it fascinating that there was a whole field of study dedicated to how we communicate with ourselves. They way we speak to and think of ourselves is such a big part of what shapes us, and yet, it's so often overlooked. In terms of what you want to do with your life, I can relate to having lots of ideas, but not being entirely sure which direction to go. To be fair, I am a freshman, so I have some time to think. However, if I'm being honest, I doubt I'll have it all figured out in four, five, or even ten years. Such is life.
ReplyDeleteEditing, publishing, and event planning!? I love that! I rarely hear my peers express interest in those fields, so I’m genuinely excited to see you share this. I haven’t worked too directly with all of them, but I’d love to expand my expertise in editing because of how valuable that skill is.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber I'm also happy to see that you did that one too because I also find it very interesting to learn about.
ReplyDelete