Blog #3

 Mastering Effective Communication and Teamwork for Success

Why It’s Necessary to Improve Team Communication


    One fantastic group experience I had was actually pretty recent (and in a class with Tracy!). I would say it was a fantastic experience because the peers I was with and I worked great together. We exchanged numbers and met in person a lot to work on the project together. We were able to split it up evenly and work well together. There was no miscommunication, and if something came up we spoke about it with each other to get it figured out. Even though conflict can be a good thing, we never had any huge conflict arise between each other. Communication was open with one another, and there was no tension when someone brought up a new idea or added on to someone else's idea. We respected each other's ideas and gave input when needed. Another good group experience was when I was at MATC for a government class. I was paired with 2 guys, so I was a little worried they wouldn’t be that communicative! But we were able to email each other and set up a time to meet to work on the project. We were able to split up the work, and work together. We also were able to respect one another's opinions since it was a government class, and the specific project was based on political affiliation/opinions. Both of these group experiences we were able to have positive interpersonal communication with one another, split the workload up, and have our project turned in on time and obtain a good grade. A bad group experience (wasn’t necessarily horrible, but wasn't very productive), was with a group of 5. We spoke with each other somewhat, but only to break down the workload and assign everyone a slide to finish. That was basically the extent of our communication. I had even emailed them outside of class about a video that went along with our presentation, and no one replied! (how rude). We were able to finish the presentation and obtained a good grade, but we all just read our own slides and then were done. I don't think the presentation flowed as well as it could have if we all communicated more. I do consider myself to be more introverted, so I will take some blame and could have communicated more. But after deciding who would do what for this project, everyone just went about their own thing, so that's what I did as well. 



Comments

  1. It's great that you've had more than one good group project experience! Respect of one another's opinions is very important, especially in something like a government class. It's frustrating to have a group that isn't very communicative with each other. I've had that happen before, and it's just plain awkward. Good on you for attempting to further that communication, even if you never got a reply! Sometimes that's all you can do. You can try to start up some deeper conversation, but if your other group members aren't willing to engage, that may not work out. Overall, sounds like you've had some great experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber! It’s cool that you were able to have such a nice group project experience. I can also speak to how good this experience was because I was in this group with you! I’m glad I was able to be a part of a group that you considered to have a great experience with. I also thought that you, our other group member, and I had open communication and high levels of respect for each other’s ideas. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment